Trees play an important role in the water cycle, grounding the water in their roots and releasing it into the atmosphere. Here are some interesting facts about trees and the impact of deforestation around the world. Learn more at onetreeplanted.org.
• Up to 48lbs. of CO2 is sequestered by a mature tree every year.
• 1.6 billion people rely on forests for their livelihoods.
• 80,000 acres of forests disappear from the Earth every day!
• 15% of all greenhouse gas emissions are the result of deforestation.
• 28,000 species are expected to become extinct by the next 25 years due to deforestation.
• Deforestation comes in many forms, including fires, clear-cutting for agriculture, ranching and development, unsustainable logging for timber, and degradation due to climate change.